Sunday, May 22, 2011

Note to self: set goals higher

Today I did a 14km fun run. I hadn't managed to get to that distance in training, and I hadn't even run 10+kms in a month. I thought, 2 hours would be okay. 1hr45min would be good, I'd be happy with that.



So, yeh, I kind of smashed it. I'm on a bit of a high right about now. Although I am still wearing my Skins because I can tell I'm going to be sore tonight. The next fun run that I do, I might have to go up a start category and not start in the slowest one!

One year ago I ran the 4.5km course at this same fun run. I'd just completed the Couch to 5k running program. It took me about 30 minutes. After that I basically didn't run again until signing up for Round 1 of the 12WBT at the start of this year. Now, a year later, and after only five months of training, I can run three times as far, and significantly faster. Thank you 12WBT!

Suddenly the half-marathon goal in August looks very achievable.

I have to say, one of my favourite parts of the run was the way my playlist - despite being on Shuffle - managed to pull out the right songs at the right time. One section of the run was through the freeway tunnel. It was very warm, and I'm not convinced the air quality was okay; I was struggling. Just as I saw (literally) the light at the end of the tunnel, 'Beautiful Day' came on. Later on, at about 9km, when we came off the freeway and started running along the river, which felt like a turning point to me because I knew where we were going, 'I Can See Clearly Now'. And at 13.5km, just about to run into the WACA, 'Firework' by Katy Perry, just in time for a sprint to the finish line. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment